Thursday, January 15, 2015

THE SIDORIA SAGA

I have completed the first three novellas in my six part Sidoria Saga: Pride of the Scouts, The Creature of the Baradoons, and The Shepherd of Evil. I first conceived of the saga back in 1995 while writing the back story for a screenplay based on the distant planet of Sidoria. Once I finished the screenplay I tucked it away in a drawer with a half-dozen other scripts and went right to work on my next screenplay.

Sometime around 1999 I came up with the idea of creating a pentalogy of novellas set on Sidoria. These books would be self-contained, though characters and events would cross over from book to book, linking the series together as a whole. I wrote the first three novellas mentioned above at breakneck speed before losing interest and moving on to other projects (I still had aspirations of being a screenwriter in those days). And so the series sat in limbo until my good friend and fellow artist Dar Parsons
 and I decided to form our own publishing company, Wamingo Publishing, in 2010.

I have completed several novels that may or may not see publication at some point, and have at least twenty-four other novels and novellas planned out, but I really wanted to go back, dust off those original Sidoria manuscripts, and complete them for my own sake if no one else's. This is a world created by a young man who was barely out of his teens, filled with action and adventure. It is a world populated by colorful, larger than life characters and bizarre, often dangerous creatures. Going back and rewriting those first three books has been a lot of fun. I have enjoyed revisiting these characters with an older, more mature point of view (some folks would debate the 'mature' part) and being able to add to the world's mythology.

I have completed the fourth book, Marauders Glory, and it is currently in the editing stage. Something happened though, while writing this latest adventure in the series that I did not expect. I had gotten so caught up in the story that before I realized it I had written far too much material for one novella, so I opted to break the book up into two parts, with the second act now being the fifth book in the series, Storms of Fortune. Thus making the planned pentalogy into a sextology. I am already over sixty pages into Storms of Fortune and have completed the outline for the final book in the series, The Havoc Bringers.

Marauders Glory will act as the linchpin of the series, connecting all of the books together. I cannot wait to publish it as I believe it to be one of the best stories in the sextology. It is very much a Spaghetti Western set on an alien world. The next book, Storms of Fortune, takes on more of a medieval/fantasy feel, while The Havoc Bringers will be a straight up sci-fi/fantasy adventure. I have had a lot of fun writing these stories and am ecstatic that I finally get the chance to publish them for the rest of you to read.

For those of you willing to join me on this quest, I thank you for your support and hope that you will return to further explore the planet Sidoria and its colorful and morally ambiguous characters. We’ll be waiting for you.

-- Jeremy Lee Riley
January, 15, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment